Tuesday, November 17, 2009

1st Day back

I imagined it would be hard going back to work...and it really was! My first day back I was pulled to a different floor (I really hate being pulled). It's hard when you aren't used to their patients, the staff, or where everything is kept. I spend all night searching for things. It's even worse when you haven't worked in 3 months! I was hoping to spend my first night back with friends...people who understood why I was upset...and people who would cheer me up. That didn't happen, but I survived. I was crying before I even walked out the door on Friday night. My husband told me to quit my job....he doesn't like seeing me that way. We both know I can't do that, but it was nice of him to offer! I cried half way to work.

I think it was even harder leaving, knowing that my baby was sick. Preston had a runny nose and was cranky for a couple of days, but seemed to be better on Thursday. I put him down for a nap, and when he woke up, he had a fever of 101.3. I called the doctor and got him in an hour later. After the PA thoroughly checked him out, she told me that Preston would have to be admitted to the hospital. Apparently when a child is under 3 months old, they usually admit them to the hospital, just to be safe. She told me they would start an IV, give him fluids and IV antibiotics. They would do some lab work and catheterize him for a UA. She said they may even do a spinal tap. I guess they do all of this because at such a young age they go down hill fast. She told me it could be a bacterial infection or even meningitis....they just don't know until they do all of the tests. I was starting to freak out. I couldn't picture my poor baby boy going through all of that pain. I told her that if she felt it was necessary, I would do it. I just wanted my baby to be safe. Before I had a chance to call my husband in a panic, the doctor came in to check on him. He decided that it wasn't necessary to admit him to the hospital. Preston had been eating well and had plenty of wet diapers. He wasn't having difficulty breathing (besides the stuffy nose). His color was good, he was alert and even smiling at the doctor.

Anyway, my first night at work started out rough...I just wanted to go home. I called to check on the baby a few times. I was upset for a while. Luckily I stayed busy enough to keep my mind off of things a bit. By midway through the shift, I felt better. I survived, and the baby survived.

My second night at work was a little easier on me...until I called my husband. He was having a rough time with Preston. Preston kept crying and didn't want to eat. Jared asked me how much money I make, then basically told me to quit my job! He calmed down after that and did fine. It was tough for me to hear he was having a hard night. All I wanted to do was head home to help. Later my husband apologized for freaking me out...he's just not used to having the baby (a sick one with colic) on his own yet. The baby isn't used to me being gone either. This is going to be a big adjustment for all of us.

Fun subject! Preston is 3 months old today! He is growing so much. He grabs at his toys and tries to stick everything into his mouth! He is starting to giggle. I get a couple little giggles out of him when I tickle him or make a funny face at him, but haven't had a rolling laugh yet. We will get there! Sometimes it seems like his colic is improving...but with him being sick right now, it's hard to know for sure. Also, Preston turned from his back to his belly November 14th...while I was sleeping after work. Daddy got to see it, but I missed it! It figures that Preston would do something fun like that, right after I start back to work!

I'm adding these on here...just some random 3 month pictures I got of Preston! He's such a beautiful boy!







1 comment:

Katie Ricks said...

I hope your hangin in there! You guys are such great parents! Cute pics!