Friday, December 4, 2009

13 years!?



Josh turned 13 the day before Thanksgiving this year! Poor kid had one of the most awkward birthdays ever. The fact that we drove to California the day before his birthday didn't help at all! I had his Grandma Egbert kind of set a couple things up for Josh before we got there...hoping that it would help us have a somewhat special day for him. We drove up to Palm Desert from Canyon Lake that day, settled in a little bit, then headed to the living desert. I guess usually they have some really neat desert animals to look at during the day, but at night around Christmas time, they do a light show. We got out there and had some fun! There were lights everywhere and they had a cool little train that ran through the area. That was Peyton's favorite part! Unfortunately, there weren't any animals to see, but there was a live band playing, face painting, and glow in the dark cotton candy! We walked around for a while and the kids had some hot chocolate. It was a bit cold....nothing compared to the weather in Utah...but it was a little too cold to have the baby out for very long. I finally decided that we needed to head out when Preston got cranky. I think Josh enjoyed himself though...and that's what it was about! We didn't end up having cake for him that night...it was late and the kids had enough treats already. Josh did open his presents though. He got a movie and poster from his great Uncle Tom. Jared and I and Grandma and Grandpa Egbert went in on an I pod touch for him. You should have seen his face! He wasn't expecting that at all! I'm glad we got him something that he seems to love! The next day he got some Chargers PJs and drawing materials from Uncle Paul and Aunt Sara. I think he made out pretty well! We finally sang "Happy Birthday" to him the Sunday following Thanksgiving. We didn't even do candles! I feel horrible about it. That whole week was just super chaotic! I didn't even get a picture of the beautiful cake that Grandma Egbert picked out for him. By the time we sang happy birthday, there was already a piece of cake missing. Honestly though....I don't think Josh minded. I told him that it was going to be a small family birthday this year, so he was expecting it. He was a trooper! Next year we will try a bit harder! I still can't believe we have a teenager...now the fun really begins!!

















No comments: