Sunday, January 30, 2011

A fine day

Sometimes I'm ok with being a working Mom, and other times I feel guilty about it. 

Saturday Jared took Josh to a wrestling tournament.  It was an hour and a half drive time to the tournament, and going to be an all day event.  I worked Friday night and needed to sleep Saturday.  Jared asked if I'd be ok with Caile babysitting while I slept.  Of course I didn't feel this was a great idea.  Caile, as great as she is with Peyton, is not a baby person!  She doesn't like baby drool.  The couple times she's changed Preston's diaper....she put it on backwards!  I laugh because it's much harder to put on backward than the correct way....but whatever.  She's not very patient with him, and I just knew that if she was home with him, I'd be awake every few minutes listening to him cry.  Let's face it, he's not an easy baby!  Anyway, Jared decided he could take Caile and the baby with him to the tournament.  That way she could watch him, but Jared would be there to help if she needed it....and it wouldn't keep me awake.  But that left my little Peyton.  It wouldn't be fun for him to hang out at the tournament, and Jared would be so involved with Josh that Peyton would be on his own.  Caile can't be responsible for the baby and Peyton at a place like that.  So, Peyton stayed home with me.  He's so good about it, and really a good kid.  It doesn't take much to occupy him.  He played his Nintendo DSi and the Xbox a little.  Really all I did was feed him breakfast and lunch and he was good.  The doors stay locked, and my bedroom door stays open so I can hear what's going on.  Like every mother knows, it's time to get worried when it gets quiet.  At around 1 in the afternoon, the house was extremely quiet, and I woke from a dead sleep to whispering in the hallway.  I jumped out of bed and asked Peyton who he was talking to, turned out it was himself.  He was playing with toys and trying to be quiet.  During my brief awake period, we could hear some of the neighbor kids outside playing.  Even though it's winter, it was a gorgeous day, very sunny.  All Peyton said was, "It sure seems like a fine day to play with friends."  First of all, that cracked me up!  A little mature statement for my 7 year old.  Then it just about broke my heart!  He wasn't whining, just letting me be aware of the inconvenience my work puts on him.  He knew he couldn't go play because I needed to sleep, and was being a good sport about it.....but he's 7!  He doesn't want to sit inside all day with his sleeping Mother. 

I am proud of my kids for the things they have to deal with, having a working Mom and Dad.  We do our best to make things good for them.  Sometimes it doesn't feel like enough....but they could have it worse.  At least I'm only gone on the weekends :)

1 comment:

Katie Ricks said...

You guys do do a great job and you have great kids cuz u do such a great job! Give your self some credit to!! ;)