Monday, May 4, 2009

"Don't Throw Rocks!"


The cut just looks so small and insignificant.....but it sure bled a lot!




So my 5 year old got a big knot and a small gash in his head today. A neighbor kid.....hmmm.....what else is there to say?! Beyond frustration! Anyway, Peyton and this little neighbor kid, that he sometimes plays with, got in an argument. What 5 year olds can argue about....I have no idea. Apparently this other kid decided that throwing a rock at Peyton's head was the best way to end the discussion. Come to find out...this isn't the first time he's caused this sort of injury to another child by throwing a rock. That's a whole different discussion though.




I heard a blood curdling scream from outside. Peyton is running for his life into the house screaming, "I'm bleeding!" Now, for a 5 year old....who's worst wound ever was probably stubbing a toe or scraping a knee. He didn't know how to handle gushing blood dripping down his head, soaking his shirt. Of course my other kids panicked too. I knew it was probably a tiny cut....since head wounds tend to bleed more than their fair share. The bleeding stopped in less than a minute. Peyton was scared to death. His poor little legs were shaking. I thought he was going to cause himself to pass out from hyperventilating. I had to tell him at least 10 times that he wasn't bleeding anymore before he stopped freaking out. Then it came down to washing some of the blood out of his hair so I could see the damage. Of course it was a small cut, not extremely deep. In all honesty, he probably could've used a stitch, but it took about an hour before I got close enough to tell that. I kept washing it, I even shaved his little head so I could see the cut better through his hair. Granted, he needed a hair cut...but not this kind of hair cut! I was holding pressure, just thinking it would seal up on it's own after a bit. I thought it was mostly sealed but when I let go of it, it tried opening again. I thought about taking him to the instacare about 5 or 6 times....my husband even called to find out when they were closed. In the end, I didn't think the cut needed stitches, so it was on to the super glue trick. I held the little cut closed, and put some super glue on his head. Like magic....no more open cut! Peyton's head wasn't even hurting anymore by the time I was done. I think my little guy got a crash course in the "don't throw rocks" lesson book!

No comments: